Monday, November 20, 2017

Post-Thanksgiving Naps

So, who likes to take a nice long nap after a great Thanksgiving meal? I know I do! However, sleeping after eating is not good for the digestive system. Your body is much more comfortable digesting its food in an upright position. So instead of hitting the couch after eating your Thanksgiving meal, offer to help with the dishes or clear the table. Try to stay up and moving after you eat because it will help with the digestive process. If you do fall asleep after eating, be sure to have an antiacid near by because there is a high chance that you will get heartburn.
P.S. if you LOVE Black Friday shopping like me, try doing that after eating your Thanksgiving dinner! You will burn 450-500 calories! (You have to burn off those 4,500 calories from your meal somehow!)

8 comments:

  1. I know that I love to take a nice nap after I eat my Thanksgiving meal as well. I had no idea that it is not actually healthy for me. I found your blog to be very informational and something I will now apply to my life after I eat. I will be sure to inform my family on how unhealthy it is to take naps after eating a nice big meal. I will be sure to stay active and moving while digesting my Thanksgiving meal this year. Hopefully all the shopping I do will burn of my calories from my meal and keep my active.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like most of my family, I enjoy a nap after a big meal as much as the next person. All of that turkey can make it hard to stay awake. This year, I will be going to work right after my thanksgiving meal, so other than the hour drive to work, I will be up and moving all night long. My meal should digest well. I will pass this information, along with antacid tablets, along to my family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its almost impossible to not want to take a nap after eating such a big meal but I try to refrain! Typically, we have Thanksgiving dinner at my moms house so I am always helping clean up which is a good thing. I can definitely see how there are negative impacts by napping right after such a big meal. I'm not the biggest shopper but even if I was, I don't think I would last long because all of the food would make me even sleepier!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually had no idea that laying down after eating is not the best for you. And it makes sense that for the best digestion is to be upright, cause the food will travel down faster and more fluid. Very informative and good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also wanted to add that when you do eat something and lay down after eating it, you do get a sensation where it is like heart burn but a sticking point. From realizing from when I had kept my body upright like doing the dishes I feel not as full. It is good information to know for when you get older.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know for me after eating such a good meal yesterday, i was ready to pass out. Instead i stayed up playing with my nephew and nieces. Then I drove my grandmother home after a long, then went and did some shopping. Moving around kept me and and kept me from feeling so drowsy. I do know that I slept like a baby once i went to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is so crazy how taking a nap after eating can be that bad for you. I know that I personally am always stuck doing dishes after dinner. However, I never realized how much of a good thing that actually could be! Also, it is great to know that there is some positives to Black Friday shopping. Not only am I spending quite a bit of money but I am also burning off lots of calories!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Regardless if it is Thanksgiving or not taking naps are awesome! When i takes nap I fell like I am always ready to tackle any challenge because it just recharges my batteries

    ReplyDelete

Post-Thanksgiving Naps

So, who likes to take a nice long nap after a great Thanksgiving meal? I know I do! However, sleeping after eating is not good for the diges...